Saturday, July 21, 2007

Out of the Mouths

Ever have a day that you felt far away from God, and something happens and you feel close...Like REALLY close?



I'm having one of those days today. I have been frustrated that my wife Shelli isn't healing faster. I don't know why I've been so anxious exactly...it's not like I had surgery myself or anything, I just want her better. There must be an inflamed nerve that is causing some pain that reaches around her side. It's not the same "cracked rib" feeling that she had before, but still hurts like crazy.

We ended up calling the doc and getting some more pain meds for her this week. It's been getting a LITTLE better over the last couple days but still has this shooting pain-feeling. I heard her cry out in her sleep last night "stop stabbing me!!"


So, I was sitting here this morning, overtired for the 5th day in a row, feeling a little sorry for myself. My office manager/partner/boss Teresa came upstairs and said "I don't want this day to happen". I asked her what she meant and she said she was going to a funeral of her son's baseball coach today. She said that he was 45 years old, healthy and had a heartattack over the weekend and died. 3 kids, loving wife. He ran for a hobby. VERY healthy guy.

And I listened to her talk about how he would be missed.
And I listened to her tell how yesterday at the showing, her 7 year old walked up to the casket and proclaimed "Is THAT coach Jeff? He's DEAD!!".
And I listeded to her tell me that her son then said "Where did he go mom?" To which she replied "He was a Christian so he is in heaven". Jason (the son's name) said "HE GOT TO GO MEET JESUS AND GOD!?? COOL! What a LUCKY GUY". And he whispered under his breath again "Lucky Guy".

I stopped listening to her, and I realized I need to be listening to HIM. We are lucky people folks. Even when we don't feel like it. Even when life deals us a blow or two. Didn't get the raise, family members hurting, divorce, jerky employers, crazy sisters-in-law, spouse travels too much, stumble and fall sometimes, have trouble with our ex-spouse...We're Lucky that we know Jesus.

This isn't a lesson about 45 year olds having a heart attack and we didn't so we're better off. The lesson that I got today was that our lives are so simple, that a 7 year old got it. We KNOW Jesus, so we're lucky. He's been here the whole time I've been frustrated and I could have given that to him on Sunday...


Jason

1 comment:

The Running Golfer said...

What an awesome post Jason! It certainly hits home with me.

Thanks for this.

God bless