Monday, July 9, 2007

Halfway to 72

“Happy Birthday Honey.” Those were the first words I heard from my wife Shelli when I woke up last Thursday morning. I turned 36 on June 28th. Halfway to 72!

It was a great way to start a great day. I had so many blessings that it’s hard to remember them all. We had a houseful of family, and they all gave me a birthday wish… Shelli made me great breakfast, and I went to work.

My first meeting was in Nashville, so my commute was half of the 60 minute norm. The meeting went well, and my client actually bought ME coffee and a muffin. (That never happens). It was a beautiful day and I was happily out of the office. I got several text messages, calls and e-mails from new and old friends, and I remember thinking about how thankful I was for the people that are in my life.

Shelli had a small dinner planned at a restaurant with some friends and family, and someone paid for my meal. Shelli always plans a ‘surprise’ diner party for me, and I always act surprised. I received some interesting Birthday Cards this year, that made comments about leadership, friendship and God centered living. It was a consistent theme, and I spent a moment reflecting at how much I have grown emotionally and spiritually in a year’s time. I took another moment to thank God for that growth.

The fact that we don’t seem to have any extra money didn’t seem to bother me that day. That fact that I am not further ahead career-wise, or living in a large home, wasn’t an issue. The fact that I am driving an hour to work one way, and that Shelli’s back is still not perfect after surgery, and the fact that I weigh too much were not on my mind at all. It was a great day and I felt great all day.

Three days later, I slipped into a down mood that lasted until recently. I spent too much time focusing on my negative “facts” in the above paragraph. How did that mood shift happen so dang fast? I have a friend that suggested that our relationship with God is like a boat tied to a dock, and when we are not developing that relationship we become untied and drift. For me, it’s subtle, especially at first, and then I realize that the shore seems like a long ways away. When my world goes into non-focus, it usually is triggered by a dwindling bank account or an unexpected financial strain. The bible is very specific about what I should spend time focusing on. The Message Version of this next passage is probably my favorite section of verses in the entire Bible (so far) Matthew 6: 30-33"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met."

34"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."

My hope for you is that you will not let your circumstances drive your emotions today. May you find little blessings in your surroundings. I know it's harder than it sounds--I lose focus regularly. As our relationship grows with God, and we learn to rely on Him, every day can feel like a great birthday!!


Jason

No comments: